Pages

Sunday, 26 April 2015

Groningen with friends

Sunday, 26 April 2015
So for those of you who don't know, I'm currently studying abroad for a year at Groningen University, which is in a lovely little city in the Netherlands that rains so much I almost forget I'm not in Wales. However, for the past couple of weeks we've had some bouts of sunshine which was amazing timing because my friend from back home came to visit me for a few days. It was lovely to see her and catch up and it gave me an excuse to do all the touristy things I hadn't yet done.



First things first, breakfast. I live on a little canal boat and one of the biggest perks is that I have this amazing pancake ship on the other side of the canal that does the most delicious pancakes. The last time I visited this place I had a savoury bacon and cheese pancake so this time I decided on something a bit more sweet and opted for a banana and apple pancake with powdered sugar.



In order to walk off breakfast, we visited De Prinsentuin, which translates as the Prince's Garden. A lovely little gem hidden in the city.
 

We then climbed the Martini Tower which has a total of 260 steps and 62 bells. From here you can see all over Groningen which is a beautiful sight. 520 steps later, we finally reached the bottom again and decided that called for a pit stop. Right outside the Martini Tower is a little coffee and tea house called De Kostery. Here I had a fruit smoothie and a little cake.
 

That night we had dinner at a lovely little restaurant and bar called De Uurwerker which do amazing pizza. If you ever find yourself in Groningen I would definitely recommend you check this place out, and also a pub called Belgisch Cafe De Pintelier which have an assortment of over 100 beers.
The next day we took the boat out as it was a beautiful day. We did manage to run out of petrol in the middle of a canal but luckily we were right near a petrol station. I guess it all adds to the fun, next time I will definitely be taking a jerry can full of gas.

The rest of our time was spent kicking back in the sun and catching up between Groningen and Amsterdam. I really enjoyed myself and it was lovely to show her around my favourite places. She did a year abroad in Dublin so I bet it was really different for her to see where I've been living.



1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Have a nice week sweetie!

    If you want to follow each other, please follow me on GFC or Bloglovin and I'll do the same ;)


    I invite you to join my worldwide giveaways: Jexshop 10$ gift card & Polka dots dress

    ReplyDelete